Mmmm bacon. Find out how this recipe combines the taste of savory bacon with the sweetness of Simply Apple to create a treat that’s simply irresistible!
- 1/2 cup Simply Apple
- 2 pounds thick sliced bacon
- 2 cups finely chopped shallots (from 3 large or 8 small shallots)
- 8 cloves garlic, chopped (about 12 tablespoons)
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/3 cup firmly packed dark-brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- Kosher Salt and fresh ground pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Line two rimmed baking sheets with foil, lay the bacon strips flat, making sure pieces do not overlap.
- Bake until crisp and browned, 15 to 18 minutes, switching position of baking sheets (top to bottom) once, halfway through cooking.
- Transfer strips to a paper towel to drain (pour remaining fat into a heatproof container and reserve). Repeat with remaining bacon.
- Working in batches, transfer bacon to a food processor, and pulse until coarsely chopped, or chop by hand.
- Transfer chopped bacon to a large heatproof bowl.
- While bacon cooks, in a large skillet over medium heat add 2 tablespoons of reserved bacon fat, shallots, and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally until translucent, about 7 to 10 minutes.
- Increase heat to high; add Simply Apple, vinegar, maple syrup, brown sugar, and chili powder. Allow mixture to boil stirring frequently with a flexible spatula, until reduced to a thick glaze, about 10 to 12 minutes.
- Pour Simply Apple mixture over cooked bacon, stirring to coat. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Refrigerate in an airtight container at least 1 hour. Enjoy for up to 4 weeks.